Monday, January 19, 2009

Slow Weekend

I've been slowly and methodically taking apart a Corvair engine. I have removed sheet metal, exhaust manifolds, header covers, rocker arms, pushrods, and the magnesium fan blower and top crankcase cover. Here's what the engine looks like now:









My advice for parts removal is to clean them superficially with WD40, dry them, and put them in small zip locked bags labeled and grouped according to function. I also marked the engine serial number on the bag because I have 3 cores. Throwing all the nuts / bolts / washers into one big bag or into a box will be regrettable weeks or months later as you scratch your head trying to figure out what went where.

I'm deviating from the order shown in William Wynne's disassembly DVD for a few reasons:


1) I need to buy a set of deep set 6 point sockets for removing the rocker arm head studs and the outside head stud nuts.
2) I don't have the special tool to knock out the push rod tubes yet.
3) I haven't bought a gear puller for the harmonic balancer yet.


There's another reason: This engine is partially siezed. I may wind up removing some of the cylinders and pistons and then proceeding to try and rotate it without damaging it. I have seen one builder recommending electrolysis for removing rust from siezed piston/cylinders and it seems to have worked for him. I may try that rather than banging things.


Now, for that puller and socket set.